- 1-1/2 lbs. Halibut Fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1 grated large lemon, rind of
- 2 medium green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- parchment paper
Combine coconut milk with lemon peel, green onions, ginger, 1 teaspoon cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes and tumeric.
Cut halibut into serving pieces and place in an 8 or 9 inch glass pan; pour coconut milk marinade over fish. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours; do not marinade longer as the fish will become too soft. Line a steamer with parchment paper and poke holes in paper.
Combine lime juice and fish sauce. Remove halibut from marinade, keeping marinade on the fish, and place in steamer set over boiling water. Discard excess marinade. Or set a rack over the water, place fish on a plate and set on rack not touching the water. Spoon half of lime juice mixture over fish and sprinkle with salt.
Baste fish with remaining lime juice mixture during cooking time. Cover the steamer and steam 12 minutes per inch of thickness. Check for doneness. Keep water at a high boil during cooking time. Remove halibut from steamer and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Makes 4 servings.